The Pain, and Having a Hope with Jesus


Maybe you have heard this story before, "If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." Disclaimer: I think this statement works for both sides and spouses. 

The Pain 

However, let's discuss more why there is pain or, in other words, unhappiness. Based on C.S. Lewis's book The Problem of Pain, by having pain, we will experience having God in the most challenging time.

Moreover, Jesus said it is difficult for wealthy people to enter the kingdom in heaven. It doesn't mean it is impossible, but he said it is difficult because their eyes are blinded by wealth. Everything can be bought by money, money has power, and nothing is impossible by money. This kind of mindset drives people away from God. God is no longer needed for people with this mindset. 

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:23) 

I think most Christians know about the concept of pain and how we understand that money is the new mammon/idol. You can close your eyes, be silent and not speak anything, or not do anything even when you know something is wrong. 

Therefore I believe to "scare" humans to do the right thing only using the concept of sins, or if you are doing this, you will go to hell/heaven, would not be a depth help to advance our civilization better. People will quickly quiver when faced with a real deal of problems. 

Understanding who you are will give you a strong self-concept and dignity, and you will have this no-money-can-buy-me concept. It is not easy because you will frequently have a decision that is not popular in the commoners' sight. 

The Common Sense + Jesus 

In my case, I will not only use my common sense but also my values in what Jesus said as my moral pathway and to be in that lonely samurai way with God. 

If we read what happened with Job in the Old Testament, it was interesting to know how God let Job experience suffering and loss. Job even said that death is better than being alive. I think Job's chapter is really fit and can help people who are depressed and suffering. He and his friends asked many questions about suffering and why it happened to Job. I think their conversation is almost like a philosophy class. You need to read the whole chapters!

From Job's time until now, the pain and sufferings are with humans. Many people ask if God is here and God is that GOOD, why does God let pain, suffering, death, and wars exist on the Earth? If you depend on your efforts, no human efforts can bring joy and peace to your life. Life is full of worries and evil.

However, having Jesus and God's covenant brings hope for humanity. That God is God of justice. Jesus always becomes my first supporter of life. He loves me abundantly, unconditionally. Therefore, I am no longer out of number, how many decisions I have made because I hold to my values as God's daughter. 

I used common sense but anchored my values based on what Jesus said. My honesty, dignity, and respect for human life are something that can't be bargained for. And this is what I am proud of, no-money-can-buy-me-mentality. I find this is rare because most people compromise their values for money, power, greed, or lust. 

Jesus = Hope 

Many people critique the Old Testament, which seemed no longer contextual in our time today. However, I learned that Old Testament is like a history book that records what happened in the past and what we can learn from it. Jesus comes to this life as part of God's covenant. Having Jesus means you have hope. 

I think I had depression when I was a teenager and could not imagine my life without Jesus. Without Jesus, I will lose my moral compass and might run away to the dark forces. Having Jesus, in my most challenging time, I have hope, that God loves me and be with me within my life struggles. 

Without Jesus, life will be chaotic, and I do not see there is the harm in doing kindness to people around you. Compared to the geniuses who created weapons or nuclear bombs. They are smarties people, but their values is not based on Jesus. This is what I regret the most—these smarties people who have a limited capacity of love for the human race. 

Let's break this evil circle, share the love and kindness, and it all begins with each of us. 


Jakarta, 19 July 2022

No comments: