Seek and You Shall Find (2): Kairos

 

Like what I wrote in my previous post, I seek and shall find. After my first step in bible studies in Orchard Road Presbyterian Church (ORPC), God showed me that it was not enough. One day, the church told us they have the Kairos program to understand our mission in this world. 

For the details: 

KAIROS is a course that helps transform worldview so that the believer understands God's purpose for every cultural group in the world, including those that still have few or no churches. The course clearly demonstrates God's love for the peoples of the world and our call to be a blessing to them. 

KAIROS is a nine-session course that utilizes a variety of learning methods including group discussions, short lecture introduction, devotions, video teaching and student participation in specially designed activities. It covers the biblical, historical, strategic and cultural areas of mission concern. 

Finding Kairos 

The problem is that ORPC only held the nine Kairos sessions on weekdays. Even though I lived in Batam, near Singapore, I still couldn't catch up on the weekday lesson with the last boat's schedule returning to Batam. I could give up and forget about it from an ordinary human's perspective.

However, something from inside me said that I needed this Kairos session. I had to find a way to find any available session if it was possible on the weekend. I believed that if God allowed me to find ORPC and its bible studies if it were God's will, God would help me find a way to get into the Kairos program. 

Being a librarian is helpful to find a way, lol. Therefore, I did a little research through Google and found a website for Kairos with Singapore domain URL. I checked on the schedule and found several churches running Kairos within the same months. Most of them run the program on weekdays, but there is ONE church that runs it on Saturdays! Lucky me! 

Grace Assembly of God 

I found the church's website and was blessed to know that the church website is constantly updated. They attached the weekly church bulletin to their website and shared the contact number for the Kairos program. I was truly blessed and prayed that the contact person was willing to open the opportunity for a stranger like me to be involved in their Kairos program. 

I am a stranger Indonesian, and I did not know anyone in that church; they could reject my registration and said that they only opened the program for their church members. Therefore, I prayed to God that if it were God's will, God would open the way and touch the contact person's heart that I accepted into the program. 

The contact person asked me to fill up the registration form and said it was okay for me to join the program. Moreover, she asked me more details like how will I reach the church and where did I stay? This is the unique thing about being a Christian family member. You are very welcome, and they greet you warmly as part of Jesus Christ's family, even though they have never met me (yet). 

Later, these beautiful friends became my new family in Singapore, compared to the opportunistic Singapore friend I had before. Thanks to Sis Jocelyn, who welcomes me heartily, Ps Peck Yin, who holds me to stay over in her apartment whenever I visit Singapore, Sis Juliette & Bro Jo-my mission trip gank, and the whole family from Grace Assembly of God. 

To be a Blessing 

I am truly blessed to be able to complete the nine weeks of the Kairos program in Grace Assembly of God. What the inner voice said to me was right; I needed it! 

For years, I only think that being a Christian is only going to the church, worshiping God in the church, becoming a responsible citizen, and following the law and legislation. However, Kairos's ultimate goal shows us that our true purpose is to be a blessing to other people. Forward the love. Period. 

Can't you believe that it is a straightforward task, but sometimes we forget about the simple thing as easy as that? Moreover, I also learn that salvation is not coming from us doing good deeds. We are saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus and not by our own efforts or works. ORPC was also telling this confirmation through its bible studies. 

I am truly blessed and feel that God's presence is always near us. All we have to do is ask God through prayer: seek, and you shall find. And by the way, this is not the end of my seeking journey. We will have to continue to the next post, lol. 


Jakarta, 4 July 2022.

No comments: