Are You Ready to Go Further?

The 14th Day Blogger Perempuan Network Challenge

Dear readers, FYI today's challenge supposed about Zodiac. However, I do not find myself able to describe my characters into a limited zodiac circumstance called Scorpio. That's why I prefer to choose one of three options given by Blogger Perempuan Network committee. 

The lucky theme I appoint today is : Cities where I have lived (kota-kota yang pernah kamu tinggali). Though, in my opinion, the term "lived" it has different meaning with traveling. This term "Lived" means that you stay for a certain time; be a resident of the city for education or working purpose.  

I have lived in these 3 cities : Jakarta, Surabaya, and Timika; and currently I am living in Batam. However, I would like to discuss first my enlightenment I got while reading bible last month, according about moving out from your comfort zone. I just have no chance to discuss this revelation yet but now :)


The First God's Explorer


This revelation came when I re-read about Abraham in Genesis 12 (KJV),
The LORD had said to Abram, "Go from your country, your people and your father's household to the land I will show you.
 "I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all people on earth will be blessed through you."
So Abram went, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran." 
If we compared to Adam and Eve who were exiled from The Garden of Eden, or Noah who sailed on the ark, Abram or Abraham is the first who've purposely asked by God to go and leave his hometown for a mysterious destination. And that's it, Abraham just went.

If we see from human's perspective, it shall be impossible. How come you just leave your hometown, your comfort zone, in your old age, for something unclear enough. Lets us give emphasis to the words God used was, "to the land I will show you." The destination didn't define clearly but Abraham the Father of Faith just did whatever God asked him.


When You Replied, "Yes, I do, God."

Lets name other characters in bible, such as Moses, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Samuel, Natan, Ezekiel, and The Apostles. They were sent by God to go and spread God's messages to people. None of them felt capable and confident to do it at first. However, they realised this was what God wanted, and they had to do it.

When they said, "I do, God." then God will equip them with wisdom, strength, and capacity to be fitted into God's plan. Moreover this is what Jesus Christ's promised in the New Testament, as recorded in Matthew 19:29 (KJV)
"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethen, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life."
I was so amazed when I realised these passage connection. I thought I found my missing link! I found my journey of life moving from a city to another always be blessed by God. I got my lessons of life from Jakarta, Surabaya, Timika, and (currently) Batam.


The Lessons I Got

Jakarta, DKI Jakarta
In Kota Tua, Jakarta with CS Friends

Jakarta as my hometown, build me and affect the fundamental me. Jakarta motivates me to always learn, build my strength, be competitive, and put 'the proper' standard in life. Jakarta fulfilled me with various options of reading sources as my foundation of life. I am lucky.

Moreover, Jakarta as the people melting pot, connected me to several social communities : Couchsurfing (the traveling club), IndoRunners (running club), and pro bono causes for library matters. We began it from couchsurfing/community friends and turned out to be in terms of good friends :)

Another lesson I got from Jakarta is about gender equality. I am used to be discriminated and bullied as a 'weak' female and Christian, when I was in Elementary and Junior High School. This experience taught me the basic lesson to appreciate others as the way they are, whatever their race, religion, and sex orientation.

Surabaya, Jawa Timur
With CS Surabaya in Wonorejo Mangrove

Surabaya is the city where I went after my passion for the first time. I left my permanent job in a multinational relocation company in Jakarta, for this 6 months fixed working contract in Surabaya. I followed my passion in Library Science. I have a faith to be brave and took the job offering in Surabaya as a Record and Information Management Executive Officer.

This is a decision I never regret until now. I went out from my comfort zone for the first time, and able to begin life in Surabaya. Moreover, the job sent me to various areas throughout Indonesia. You may read my note about the experience here.

Timika, Papua
3B : Brain, Beauty, Behavior

When I worked in Papua, my mind was burdened heavy because I thought about Papuan children. I worked in a boarding school and met these children, put me to work always in the (very) best effort.

It even worse when you felt you were alone thinking and put best efforts for these children. I thought of many ways, what can I do in my capacity as a librarian in school and part of youth community in Timika, Papua.

I wished the children can keep their faith in Jesus Christ and realise Jesus Christ is their savior of life. I wished in my limited time in Papua I could inspire these children to keep learning, and achieve positive goals in their future. Their life is not only limited in Timika, and their end goal is not to be PTFI employee. Life offers you a lot of magnificent options as long as you want to work hard for that.

Timika is where I learned A LOT about lessons of life . My most notable lesson here is: friendship is not about number but quality. I found best friends in Timika and they are enough :) You can read more about it in here.

Batam, Kepulauan Riau
Life at peace in Batam :)

Batam is the city where I always say gratitude for whatever God's plan in my life. After lived in the limited Timika, Papua and moved to Batam-The Singapore of Indonesia, I find a huge difference. The huge difference for me, is in the working mental pressure.

The students here do not live in a boarding house, since they have family house in Batam and they can afford 'proper' quality of life. Their activity after go home time would be on their parents' responsibility. Money is not an object for them, so that these children are (very) good taken care of. A part of this huge burden is lifted from my shoulders now! Thank you God!

I work peacefully now and focus to manage my precious time to continue fulfilled God's mission in my life. Moreover, Batam is a place for me to gain knowledge, after I missed it out for 5 years in Papua.


Ready to Go Further?



When I have to leave a city, it should benefit my life for a reason. My time in Surabaya is ended after 6 months; and I have to move out from Timika after 5 years. Lets see what will happen now in Batam, how long I will stay in Batam.

Meanwhile I am enjoying my time to learn, write, and begin my project of dream : Pustakawan Mendunia. Hopefully I could find another team member for this literacy movement.

For you who are reading this, but a bit hesitate to go after your passion / dream, do not worry. I learned that passion is almost the same thing as talent which given by God. We are responsible to plant and water it, so it may flourish and help people around you.

As long you improve your talent to bring good in people, trust that God will provide whatever you need and return it an hundredfold. I am one of the living explorer of God's will.



Batam, 3 December 2018.

No comments: