5 Keys to be a Malaria Survivor in Papua


What is Malaria?

As seen on the picture above, Malaria is a parasite spread by Anopheles mosquito. This parasite infected our blood cell and stayed in our liver. That's why, once you are affected by Malaria, the parasite stays and may re-attack your organs after the first attack.

It may put organs failure, damaged your brain cell, and could affected fetus for pregnant woman. To learn more about Malaria you may read it here.


The Fact

FYI Papua, Papua Barat (West Papua) and Nusa Tenggara Timur (East Nusa Tenggara) has reported as the malaria endemic region in Indonesia based on Indonesia Ministry of Health 2017 data. However, it doesn't mean that you despise or refuse if get job/opportunity to visit Papua. You may read further about this in here.

In my opinion, the experience and mesmerising beauty of Papua is wasted if you cancel to visit it because of Malaria threat. Trust me and read it here. Do not worry I will share to you my tips can survive in Papua for 5 years without affected by Malaria.


The Myth

Since my first time visit Papua, people keep teasing me that I will (at the end) get affected by Malaria disease. They said I am not officially admitted as Papuan if I am not affected by Malaria. Others also joked, why you don't use your insurance card for a while since you already paid your BPJS (Health Insurance). Another might ask me, whether I had malaria (yet).

Those are the kind of joke which I could not find it funny. I take it seriously. Because for me, healthy is a serious matter. Being healthy is expensive and no body want to trade their healthy with anything in the world. Including me.

I came healthy to Papua and will go home healthy to Jakarta respectively. That's what I always say to myself and my teasing friends repeatedly. Moreover, better of me to pay the insurance, keep healthy, and do not use the insurance at all for hospitalised issue. I also replied to anyone asked that I (NEVER) had no Malaria. Without these (yet) form words.

In my opinion, never put yourself as a matter of a joke when you do not find it funny at all :)


Be the Survivor

There are my 5 tips to be a Malaria Survivor in Papua:

1. Have Positive Thought 
Never put yourself into depression and negative thoughts. 
They may ruin your life and affected your health. 
Do not trust those myth I've stated above.

2. Asked Health Professional Recommendation
If you need suggestions, better to have suggestion by a health professional. 
One month before my first visit to Papua, I visited doctor in RS Soekanto who prescribed me to consume klorokuin once a day. 

3. Eat Properly and Regularly
Never skip your meal, do not do diet in Papua.
Several of my friends who do diet was affected in Papua.
You have to eat with proper nutrients, and regularly (min. 3 times a day)

4. Do Not Over Do Your Work and Sleep Well
Manage your working hours well. Do not over do your work.
Remember, once you are sick, who will take care of you? 
Take a rest. Remember your body need to be maintained and charged.
Sleep at the least at 12.00 am

5. Get Traditional Herbal Medicine
Once in a month (or in a week) you may boiled leaves of Papaya and drink the water.
The water is very stir and somehow the Malaria Mosquitos will avoid you. 

I did this and could stay as a survivor from Malaria after 5 years working in Papua. When I moved out from Papua, it doesn't mean I don't do this 5 tips anymore. I find this 5 tips are essential to be a part of my daily life. If you can add with doing exercise and sport, it would be a very good bonus!

Remember : An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.


Batam, 1 December 2018

No comments: