The Rebirth of Mobile Library Concepts

The 23rd Day Blogger Perempuan Network Challenge

Dear readers, today our Blogger Perempuan Network's topic should be about things you've regretted in life. However, since I accepted and loved me, including for what happened in the past, I have nothing to regret in life. 

I realise each difficult lesson we had in life could be bitter or once put us into depression, but definitely we made it! We passed the test and conquer as the winner of life :)

That's why I am going to have a replacement for today's topic into "What will you do if you get 100 million (IDR)?" First lets convert the amount in Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) because we are living in this beautiful country, Indonesia.

How Much is 100 Million IDR?


If we think in number 100 million IDR shall be written as Rp 100.000.000,- and what can we do with this number of money? In my opinion, if your answer only to deposit it or just travel abroad, how wasted those money are. 

So that, I think how to make the money useful for others? I realise, as a librarian by profession and by passion, Pustakawan Mendunia is an organisation that could reach more people. These money shall be useful for Pustakawan Mendunia's future program : The Rebirth of Mobile Library Concepts.

The Rebirth of Mobile Library Concepts

I've seen several mobile library in Indonesia visited schools and mostly they are owned by government. Based on my general observation, these mobile library seemed quite boring. They only provide books and stopped by for several hours. It is very rare to find if there is a librarian who made activity and interact to build children's fondness in reading. Moreover, the mobile library working hours only from Monday-Friday within school's schedule, as the latest usually around 2 pm. 

Perhaps people would answer, at least we have a mobile library, better than not at all. However, in my opinion, just do something ordinary is not enough. We are human is designed with creative brain which able to do wonderful things extraordinary. Furthermore, these ideas need money, and I think 100 million IDR could be a help to put them into reality.

The Rebirth of The Mobile Library Design


Since I was a kid, I was amazed with the Volkswagen! It shape is cute and unique. I still remember the first Volkswagen I see until now. Its colour was blue and I saw in the the middle of the traffic Jakarta city. How strong the memory for me, isn't it?

I believe if we use the same method, to modify this Volkswagen, the impression could stay stronger for people who visit the Mobile Library Volkswagen to read. We can have illustration about literacy and children on the outer Volkswagen. Moreover, we can modified it because the car's capacity is big. We could have the bookshelf inside and put the multimedia screen on the modified window at behind. 

I check in the Indonesia selling car website, the price for second hand Volkswagen 1987 and below begins from 60 million IDR, and we pull the rest to expand the interior and paint. 

The Rebirth of Books Collection and Facilities 


The collection in this VW would not only printed books. Toys, ebook, and the e-book reader would be provided. Plus the internet wifi connection, speakerphone, laptops to learn how to use computer, maps, globe, guitar, puppet dools, and anything else in any sort to help empower children's love in reading.    

The Rebirth of Passionate Librarians / Volunteers


Unfortunately, a passionate librarian / volunteer is not about being a person who knows librarianship (only). That person should be highly motivated to be around the children, love them as the first priority throughout the literacy activity. This is the most important foundation that usually forgotten by us. 

Could Money Really Save the Day?


Like I told you before, 100 million IDR or Rp 100.000.000,- could be a help, but money (only) doesn't solve the illiterate number of people for years in Indonesia. We already seen how many government projects were failed when they approached only by number of materials finished. 

Hence, buying 100 modified mobile library Volkswagens would not help much to build children love in reading. Same thing as donate 100 million IDR to buy books and give it to the library. Without the people who work as the creative mind in the library, library will be only stay as a warehouse to keep books. Human resource is the essential key! 

Believe me, since I saw people who did it and part of it: one creative mind in a humble library, even with only one book he/she had, if that person do literacy activities as his/her passion, it could touch hundreds of souls to build children/patron's fondness in reading. 

I prefer to do what I can do in my capacity to develop children's love in reading, and just take this 100 million IDR as a bonus. Whether someone is there to donate the 100 million IDR as a gift to me and Pustakawan Mendunia, or not, my passion stays. 



Batam, 12 December 2018

No comments: