The Power to be able to Dream


Greatest Barriers 

Having a dream is free for everyone. However, from my reflection, there are 2 barriers which ruining our dream :
  1. Ourselves
  2. Listening to people who said we can't
My life is like a boat and it never sail on the calm ocean. It keeps wavy, but I would not be a person who give up to the storm or the big waves. I keep going. 

As I child, I was a rebel. At least in my mind. Born and raised in a strong patriarchy culture as Bataknese (you may read my previous writing here), my barriers were my parents. So that, once I was in college, I got my freedom to say: NO. Since then, nobody could force me to do anything which is not reasonable or out of my common sense.

Been in Papua for 5 years, I grasp the essence of life: Love in a humble life. Some things might happened out of my common sense, in the term of God's perspective. This is something that we could not predict. I learn to live in faith, "in the God's time". I become a more reflective person, I found me. I am blessed to have this understanding very early, before my 30s.

Then I come to the conclusion again, the greatest barriers for your growth are: 
  1. Yourself
  2. Listening to people who said you can't
I felt bad for my little brother who was not allowed to choose his dream college, because of the circumstance. My parents were lacking in confidence of him. They ruined my brother's self-esteem. This is something that we could not overdo, since the result of the university exam has been published. Yes, my brother is accepted in a good national university, but it's not his dream college. He was crying on the phone when I called him at midnight. I have difficulties for sleeping this whole month, I do not know if this what what you called a 'sign.' I think my little brother felt terribly sorry about himself.

The Power to be able to Dream is Very Expensive

Having a dream is free, but to have that power to allow yourself to be able to dream and go for it, to pursue it, to give the best effort for that, it's coming from yourself. Nobody could replace you. It shall coming from you. Hundreds or thousands of people might said No. However, it's you who define yourself. Are you just like what these people said about you? Or are you the person you define who you are?

I just choose the second option. I define myself.

Last month, our book club reading Laskar Pelangi, or the Rainbow Troops, which is written by Andrea Hirata. I read Laskar Pelangi twice. The first was in Bahasa Indonesia, then I just finished the English version for my book club's. My first time reading this book when I was in college. I just enjoyed the story as a fiction based on real story, oh yeah. It was another adventure story about kids. However, in my second time reading this, I read this in a totally different perspective. I worked for 5 years in remote place, not the capital city of the province. Moreover, I met these bright beautiful children who had limited access for education not because of lacking in the facilities, but in their own mindset.

Lintang gave the Rainbow Troops courage to dream! Something that Ikal dan the other troops never dare to think that further. There are more possibilities for them out there, and they have people who believe in them: Ibu Mus, Pak Hafan, and Lintang!

How to Response when Somebody Sharing His/Her Dream with You?

Said thank you. It means that you are a very dear for that someone. If you heard his/her dream kinda like giving you to response by answering "Really??"; better you hold your tongue. 

For my brother's case, I felt sorry about him, because I was away not in Jakarta when the family made decision. They just decided and reported the result to me. Just like the old days hahaha (this sarcasm btw). However, I told my brother that the power to be able to dream, this is a blessing where not everyone has it. 

Not everyone encouraged enough to think that they are actually able to reach their dreams by effort and working hard on it. Not everyone brave enough to see themselves as helpless and they are not capable (yet) in way to reflect, and see what else I can do to make myself do better. 

My parents are not blessed by this traits. They are very simple and practical. Living a permanent life, doing good, working hard, life is good enough, and that's it. I told my brother we could not blame on our parents but that's how they are. 

What Would You Do and How is Your Plan?

Therefore, I asked my brother, what would you do and how is your plan? He told me that he would having the next's year university entrance test. I told him that he has the chance for a year preparing and working hard for that. I also shared my failures and the turning points which shaped me as the current me. Moreover, I told my brother, even for me, life is not ended as just like these days. I do not see myself graduated with a bachelor degree from library and information science as the end of me. I do also have my goals. It needs effort, and I am working on it.

Like what I believe, we shall be a role model to people we love. If I encouraged my brother to be a person who is brave to dream, then I should be a person who is willing to dream and surely make the efforts on it. I told my brother that he always has his brother and sisters, and me as the 'out of the box' sister to share his stories and worries with. I am glad to know at the end of our conversation he felt better, and we prayed. I told him, never feeling alone, because nowadays, God's answering people's prayers in various ways. God might be not talking to you directly but God's words could be delivered through other people.

Some people mentioned that 'luck' is the most important aspect in someone's success. Good for me, that I do not believe in luck. You might work hard, the effort was there, you might reach for your dream, or might be not. Not because you are not capable (after those all hardworking and labor), but we are limited in our perspective as human. God provides you with even better result. This 'secret' would be unfolded once then we would say, "Oh, that's why..." hahaha. But yes, it usually take a long time until we reach that reflective mode on.

I wish more children and people in the world have the same opportunity, to have that power to be able to dream. There is one quote that I really like,
“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars.”

Amen.


Batam, 28 August 2020

 






No comments: