The Power of Promise

In the Beginning


Dear readers, on November 2017 our youth community in Papua was invited to give presentation to introduce our program in Singapore. We had a lot of discussion and under a pressure whether this was going to be presented properly and in good ethic or not. To be frank, the accommodation to go to Singapore should be self-funded, none could support us. Not even our parents organization.

For years, literacy action already a dominant priority in my life, so that I offered to be there. My purpose only to make sure our presentation and who we are (our organization) would be presented well and there was no hidden agenda behind it. This was how I put the organization as my priority in life. 

Ms Rose from WAREIs
Afterwards, in the session at Singapore, our presentation moved the attendees's heart. They asked if there is anything they might help or any possibility for us doing collaboration. In further conversation through Facebook, they asked if they would like to have a conference in Indonesia, where shall they make it? 

I replied that conference that taken place in Jakarta, Bali, is so common and no longer interesting for people in Asia. Why don't try something new, something different, such as Papua? I suggested Jayapura, because it is a capital city of Papua Province, they are blessed with magnificent scenery and natural resources, they have numbers of youth communities which involved with people.

My suggestion was accepted, and there I tried to be a help, as a bridge to meet this Singapore Entrepreneur Community with youth community in Jayapura, Papua. IYFP (Indonesian Youth Forum Papua) said they agreed to join as part of the committee of the conference. At the moment, I lived in Timika, Papua and that's why I committed to Ms Rose from Singapore Entrepreneur Community that I would give my best to help this event run well. I made promise that I would attend the conference. Timika to Jayapura is only 45 minutes by flight. The event would be held on September 2019.


The Challenges

The committee just arrived in Jakarta
Ok, if you read it in my previous posts in this blog, you'll realize that I made decision to move out from Papua. So how would I still contribute for the conference? I explained to Ms Rose that I moved out not only from the city also from the our youth community in Timika, Papua. Everything was told openly for her because I preferred to have everything clear. Ms Rose was really supportive and insisted that I had to stay and involved as the committee.

So that, as part of the committee, the team was going to Jakarta on August 2018 to have presentation in Indramayu. Ms Rose asked me to join them in Jakarta but regrettably I could not attend the presentation day. They made the presentation in weekdays where I still working in Batam. However, I could join with them from Saturday to Sunday. I asked whether she still want to meet our youth organization's founder, and she was agreed. So that I set them to meet up in Jakarta. Kind heart Ms Rose offered to reimburse my flight ticket from Batam to Jakarta but I refused. I would like to have this journey as part of my voluntary action, ethically. This was only a little contribution I could share as a part of introducing Papua in positive spotlight to people from overseas country.

When the conference was going to be held, it became our mutual agreement that every resource speaker should cover their own expenses. They are included your flight ticket and accommodation to reach Jayapura, Papua and returned home. Again, I tried to fulfilled my promise and be responsible as part of the committee and flied all the way from Batam.

Ms Rose through her networking was able to invite Miss Indonesia 2015, Ms Maria Harfanti. Our event went well and we had 60 youth attendees from various Papua communities. Hopefully they were inspired to do further and brave to be part of Papua's positive movement.


The Promise Keeps Going

We are going to have the next conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia this April 2019. From my location in Batam, for sure Kuala Lumpur comes closer and easier for me to reach. However, how about our friends from Jayapura, Papua? 

To reach KL, we need 5 hours direct flight from Jayapura-Jakarta, plus additional hours to reach KL from Jakarta. Garuda Indonesia Airlines flight ticket offered one way flight from Jayapura-Jakarta with SGD 600. It is more expensive from my previous round ticket Batam-Jayapura (SGD 700). 

Papua committee is looking for sponsors to help buying their flight tickets from Jayapura to Kuala Lumpur (for 3 people). However, for me, I need permission from my principal since I have not work for 1 year yet. Hopefully my boss would let me have 2 days off for the activity. Furthermore, I also would have my expenses to Kuala Lumpur under me.

The whole conference preparation is made by Kuala Lumpur committee. After the second phase, we are going to make the third in Singapore. So lets see and fingers are crossed for us to continue this collaboration. Hopefully we could build and expand our view as part of Asian youth movement, to improve our community better. Remember to put your best effort in fulfilling your promise and you will surprise to see where it's going to take you.



Batam, 15 March 2019

No comments: