I La Galigo, a Music Theatre

The Legendary Performance



I think I was in high school when I read about I La Galigo's theatre show in the newspaper. Since then, I become curious about the work, which took Indonesia's folklore from South Sulawesi. I am always interested in Indonesia's high culture's values. Until one day, I read the information in Now Jakarta's website that they are going to have a performance in Jakarta after 10 years going around the world.

Such a coincidence, that I am going to visit Jakarta in the time being. I was invited as a resource speaker for the Library's Transformation Program conducted by National Library of Indonesia. We will discuss it in another post :)

So, I contacted my trusted networking friends that I was interested in the show and asked if there is anyone who is going to the show too. They offered us a 25% discount if using a certain credit card so that I asked if anyone can help me to buy the ticket :)

One very good friend of mine, Mr. Mestakung said he was into it! Hahaha. He always there be part of my life without me planning it. So here we were watching the show on July 6, 2019 in Ciputra Artpreneur :)

with Mr. Mestakung, thank you so much for your help, Mate!

The Review

Anyway, here is my review about I La Galigo's Music Theatre Work :
  1. Script
    FYI I La Galigo was taken from Bugis' (a tribe from South Sumatera) heritage where the original work is a poem and written in 300.000 lines. Old people in Bugis believed this as the history where Bugis people came from. I like the way the narrator spoke in Bugis' language, and translate the rest of the conversation in Bahasa Indonesia on the screen.
    However, I felt bad for people who do not understand Bahasa Indonesia at all and attended the theatre. Because the committee does not provide written translation in English. One more thing to note, you could not expect that the character will speak loudly because mostly the conversation will be written. However, I see it as part of the story itself. Where originally characters in the storyline were very strong and had mystic power. If you were that strong, spoken words were no longer needed. The conversation would be built from the character's inner thought.
  2. Character
    I like it! They had 100% Indonesian cast, most are people from South Sumatra. They made it variants, even I saw there were 2 Papuans. I like it also when they cast a grandma as a part of the character of the show. The committee could use a young cast and put on heavy makeup to make her look older, but they did not. An old woman is joined into the show as a 'matchmaker' for the main characters and as part of the closing scene.
  3. Lighting
    Perfect! I almost in tears seeing how perfect the lighting teamwork for the show! The main character Batara and Sawerigading defined with different lighting. Batara as a father and stronger given by red light and Sawerigading lighted by blue. The lights also utilized optimally throughout the show! When it supposed to be a fight, in the middle of the sea, and how to bring the ambiance for a funny, fighting, sad, or romantic scene. Whoever the Lighting Director and the team, I salute for their hard work!
  4. Music
    They use lyric in Bugis language and it really supports the story and brings us into a different situation. We need to be convinced that we are no longer there in Jakarta but be part of the story, in the Bugis and Sulawesi condition. Beautifully composed music and songs for the show by Rahayu Supanggah. Moreover, I like it also how they emphasize the power of character through the music illustration. The main character, Batara and Sawerigading frequently jumped to show their mighty power, followed by certain music illustration to differentiate their power.
  5. Costume and Property
    Beautifully made and efficient. If you know Bugis' culture then you will understand the play portrayed Bugis' people life who are well known as a sea-based tribe. Most of the main characters do not change their costumes, but the supporting characters did. They also utilized sarong as part of our culture to be transformed as cock and boat, hahaha. It is very creative :)
  6. Stage
    The stage is not that wide but fits with the story. I appreciated Ciputra Foundation who made an effort to commit to Indonesia's culture preservation. The Ciputra Artpreneur on the 11th floor Lotte Mart, Kuningan could be a Jakarta's sanctuary for a high quality of culture performance. It will be great if they have a permanent show schedule for every weekend in Jakarta.    
  7. The Harmony
    It was great! I watched several theatre performances in Jakarta but I could say, this is the BEST ever! Every aspect of the performance is so perfect. No direct communication between the characters builds the mystery ambiance on the play and there's where they maximize the music illustration. I like it also how Robert Wilson (the director of the play) interpreted every scene with the dance moves, and he made a romantic scene so beautifully breathtaking! He did not need to show a love scene in vulgar ways (bed, screaming, or shadow), but with rhythmic dancing. When the couples love each other they will dance beautifully in the same movement and rhythmic. If they at the beginning of knowing each other, the dance became hesitated. If one of the characters refused the other, then the rhythmic will be disturbed but still in an elegant way. 

The Gratitude

I would like to express my gratitude for Robert Wilson as the Director, Set Design, and Lighting Concept for I La Galigo's music theatre. He must spend years to invest his time exploring the story and crazy enough to experiment with Indonesia's culture folklore where none do it before, in such a high standard. Thank you for having a faith that this show will work, and to optimize cast Indonesian as part of the 10 years show. 

My reflection as an Indonesian, aside from being so proud to see how wonderfully our heritage made into theatre, I am ashamed. We have so many local heritage which is not explored yet but wasted away and not appreciated highly by us, Indonesian. I hope any Indonesian who watch the show do not only enjoy the glorious show but to reflect what have we done to preserve our culture and heritage. 

I wish to enjoy more of this world level show made based on our Indonesian's heritage. 


Batam, 11 July 2019.

No comments: