A Library Miscellany

Life is a Series of Your Decision

Life is a series of your decision making :)
Dear all, currently I am in a middle of a project which has to make me visit Singapore at least twice a month. I could not tell you in detail as a matter of privacy. It is a challenge for me to put my schedule and prioritise things around.

I could just sit, enjoy, and relax with the peaceful life in Batam. However, my heart said "NOPE" lol. Something inside me is furious. That laid back life is not a living for me. I demand for challenges, I need advancement in life. So that's why I am proactive to dig deeper what would I do aside from my expertise in librarianship at school in Batam.

If everything has confirmed, for sure I would share it in this blog. Meanwhile, please be patient and let me share about my current finding in Geylang East Public Library, Singapore.

Find These Beautiful Gems

I am so happy had a visit to 028 DDC Shelf in Geylang East Public Library, Singapore. The library provides several interesting books about librarianship, :

  1. A Library Miscellany by Claire Cook-Starkey
  2. The Meaning of the Library : a Cultural History edited by Alice Crawford
  3. What to Read and Why by Francine Pose
  4. Bibliophile : an Illustrated Miscellany by Jane Mount

and here I open the first book : "A Library Miscellany" by Claire Cook-Starkey.

The book size is just perfect, in a fit size of your palm where I found it is very comfort to read it while laying on these 'grass-a-like' carpet. The font in the book also convenient to read, and the most important thing is: the content itself.

The author shared us knowledge where I even do not know as a professional librarian for years: Charlie Darwin's Library Collection, famous librarians of note (including Mao Zedong and Lewis Caroll), and unique story about library books' theft. The theft was jailed and banned for visiting any library in Britain, such a lol.

A Librarian's Alphabet

Moreover, the author shared a charming poem, composed by M.S.G.H (it's a mysterious initial) which appeared in the Cheltenham Ladies' College Magazine in 1933.

O All you young librarians, come listen unto me
If thoroughly efficient bibliographers you'd be.
But should the ensuing alphabet too long and dull be found,
You can fasten on the following: much Sense and little Sound.
And though all's not librarianship, you'd argue with your betters,
They're inextricably mingled, are the arts of life and letters.
Be...

Accurate, alert, ambitious, accessible;
Brief, business-like;
Clear, consistent, cautious, critical, capable, conscientious, calm, courteous, considerate, charitable;
Direct, diligent, dauntless (it's dogged as does it), disinterested;
Exact, enterprising, enduring, efficient;
Far-seeing, fearless;
Gallant and gay, never guess;
Honest, high-minded, humble, humorous;
Impeccable, imperturbable, industrious, independent, intensely interested;
Judicious;
Knowledgeable;
Lucid, legible, liberal-minded, level-headed;
Methodical, mindful of manners;
Neat, noiseless;
Orderly, observant, obliging;
Proud, prudent, precise, painstaking, persevering, punctual, patient, polite;
Quick, quiet;
Reliable, resourceful, reasonable;
Sound, sensible, steady, sane;
Trustworthy, thorough, tireless, tactful;
Understanding;
Veracious, versatile, vigilant, vigorous;
Wise and wart, a worker;
EXperienced;
Young (always);
Zealous.

I found it's just so sweet there was someone who put his/her mind to make a poem based on librarianship spirit. In my opinion, this book is must to have in every library in the world, moreover it's published on 2018. So that the content inside is very informative and current. The miscellany world of librarianship is already opened for us librarian and book lovers. Reading this book feels like I am finding a home :D



Singapore, 26 January 2019.




No comments: