A Touchstone of Faith

2018 the Year of Faith

Getting prepared for snorkelling in Abang Island, Batam, Indonesia
Dear readers, 

I believe you may face troubles and difficulties to be solved several times in life. For me 2018 is so special, lets say one of the important phase in my life. I believe 2018, is a moment where life gives me a test, a foundation to shape me to be the current me now.

Here what I learned through out this 2018. 

Put a Minimum Standard for the Future Spouse

Rarely I share about this kind of writing but yeah, it's almost time I just write everything pops in mind. I never put certain standard in meeting a significant other (SO). Nor his profession, his wealthy, his face, education background, etc. I am so simple, as long we have same faith in Jesus Christ, then anything is possible.

However something happened in 2017, where I add this specific standard : "RESPECT". It is no love if you have no respect to your spouse, including how to treat your spouse's family. Respect includes ability to say sorry if you might hurt someone you love. 

Love is an action. Sometimes, when we fall in love, we might not see our SO weakness/fault and just accept him the way he is. Love is accepting but it shall improve us to be a better person. 

By 2018, situation put me and that (was) SO together, whatever how close we were and how much effort he made trying to make up his fault, I am so sorry, it is not enough. There is a line he should never cross. When he crossed it, an apologise is what I needed. I do not need fake laugh, smile, and taking picture together like there was no problem at all. I never accept his apologise until now but yeah I am praying at least he will never do it to other people. 

So there, I have a faith where I should put a minimum standard for any SO : he has to RESPECT me. There is no tolerance at all. Once he crosses the line, that's the end. I don't ask much, do I? :)

When You Said It, You Mean It

I grew up with enormous readings about chivalry, kindness, good side always win over the bad side and they influenced my character. I am a person who believe in doing good deeds, and nothing to be worried about in life as long as you do the right thing.

This faith is not only for me but also I retold this to my family member and my students in Timika, Papua. Meanwhile, there was a situation where I know EXACTLY in front of my face was not right. I was trying my best to make a positive change and reported everything by hierarchy. The result was NOTHING. I did my best for 5 years, and still believing until the end, I am proud to be me who work with integrity and honesty. I mean it. 

I could not work in circumstance which is not right and broke my faith in life : the good side shall win over the bad side. Money could not buy me. I work professionally, I sell my skill but not my soul. It was a difficult situation where I took the decision by faith : God will provide. And yes God provides! :)

God the Provider

I resigned from my previous job without knowing where is my next job. I had farewell statement in last days at school without knowing where should I work next. I just had a faith, it was intolerable and that's the END. 

I sold my furniture at Timika home to my besties and let them decided the price : air conditioner, gas and its stove, cupboard and motorcycle. Moreover, I shared my kitchen utensils, desk, washing machine and never think to convert everything into money. 

What did I get later on? Everything returned just perfect. I moved to a boarding house provided by my school in Batam and everything is full-furnished. Everything! Including the plates and kitchen utensils, air conditioner, washing machine, plus wifi connection as a bonus! God is so good! :*

God Always Knows the Best for You
It has been months when I decided to move out from Papua, I was so troubled. How my heart wanted to stay in Papua but my logic said how come if you have no job to feed you there? I kept praying anyplace I shall go, is what God think the best for me. When the result of my prayer is Batam, what could I do but believe it's part of God's plan.

First months in Batam was not really difficult since I knew I was going return to Papua in September 2018. However, after returning from Papua everything becomes worse. I have no more reason to return to Papua. At all. 

First, something really evil happened in Timika so that I even could not see them anymore. I could not describe it here as a matter of privacy. But it was so EVIL. Let God deal with them. I worked in Papua with good will, made my best effort there and working professionally. God blessings are always there for me. What do you think could happened if the contrast thing occurred there? It is not my portion to answer it, but lets conclude it this way : you reap what you sow :)

Second, my last connection to Papua which is our community library, closed. Before, I made commitment to submit a teaching material once in a week for our community library in Timika, Papua. We were only three, by my time moving to Batam, only 2 left. Hence, one of the team moved to Jayapura, and only 1 person left in our library community. That person could not managed the community library alone and so yeah, unfortunately it is closed.

Amazingly, staying in Batam opens my eyes to reach a lot opportunities to learn new things and return to explore my old flame in watery life hahaha. By 6 months living in Batam, I went overseas twice for a workshop and conference. I am connected to full service of internet and I am able to improve my ability in writing. I had my IELTS Preparation course. I do snorkelling again and schedule my diving lessons. I have delicacies and comfort in life (back to the city life) : Gojek, Gofood, mozzarella pizza, Movie Theatre (CGV, XXI), and so much more :)

Could not wait for God's best plan in my life.

Friendship is about Quality not Quantity

I am a person who love to explore new things including meeting new friends. It is not difficult for me to build communication and friendship with strangers. However, by 2018, I am convinced that friendship is not talking about numbers but quality.

I learned a real friend is someone who brave to scold you when you are wrong (in a good manner). They would not believe in issues but to check on you first. They open about themselves, who they are, what problems they are facing, and listen to your side. 

To find a high quality friendship I mentioned above is not that easy. In my five years in Timika, Papua, I realise from those number of people who usually show up in my facebook, not everyone is a real friend. 

I am grateful to God, in my final time in Timika, Papua, God showed me who're my real friends. Moreover, it's true that they are my real friends because until now we still have good communication. So that, here in Batam, I take my time just relax and do not force myself to attend any regular meet up if I do not feel I want to go there. 

I learned my lesson to build friendship by quality and prefer to know other people carefully first. If I am sure enough a person can be trusted, then he/she would have the privilege to know the deepest side of me. 

A Million Dreams

Just like my previous post in A Million Dreams, staying in Batam opens my eyes for opportunities to improve myself. Including to set up those million dreams I have and challenges I have to conquer. It would not easy, need effort and faith that I am able to complete those questions of life. Those dreams are my energy and focus for life. 

That's how I reflected the whole 2018 and prepared for what the 2019 shall bring : a prosperous life ahead. Life is a never ending learning journey. Have a faith...



Bintan, 30 December 2018

2 comments:

Bunda Dirga said...

hi Mbak Friska, your blog is very inspiring. God bless you... Salam Kukuruyuk from Semarang

Friska Titi Nova said...

Thank you @BundaDirga happy new year 2019 Bun. God bless you full..